Surface Gallery is led by a co-operative team, who support each other to learn more about running a successful independent art gallery. All volunteers at Surface Gallery help to organise and invigilate exhibitions. Alongside these general exhibition duties, there are opportunities in design, marketing, installation and other areas.
People volunteer for all sorts of reasons. For some, it’s a great chance to meet new people, for others, it’s to try something new or gain new skills. It’s a great way to gain hands-on experience for people wanting to work in the arts sector.
Surface Gallery is keen to welcome new volunteers who have some availability Tuesday – Friday (one day a week), who can support the gallery’s exhibitions programme, including invigilating exhibitions, set-up and take-down on shows, and other areas of the organisation.
- An interest in contemporary visual art
- Strong self-motivation and ability to manage own time effectively with minimum supervision
- Reliable, with good time management skills
- Conducts self in a mature and responsible manner
- Willing to work in a multidisciplinary, co-operative team
- Ability to accept and respect another’s perspective and experience
Knowledge & Skills:
- Computer literate
- Ability to work within good health and safety policy and practice
- Willingness and ability to commit to an initial 3 months of volunteering
- Willingness and ability to remain open to feedback, learning and development
We ask for an initial commitment of three months volunteering, once a week. Please note that volunteers at Surface Gallery need to be 18 or over.
If you would like to know more about volunteering at Surface Gallery, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
About Surface Gallery
Surface Gallery is the local, volunteer-led, Contemporary Art gallery of Nottingham.
We operate as a social enterprise celebrating and supporting the talent in our city, with a focus on engaging our immediate community and broadening participation in the arts. We are led by a co-operative team of early-career professionals, who support each other in order to learn more about running a successful independent art gallery.
Located within Nottingham’s burgeoning Creative Quarter, Surface Gallery’s three-story building welcomes visitors and exhibitors to its two gallery spaces, nine artist studios and open plan office area.