Objective: Drive vans with mechanical ramps to transport passengers using wheelchairs.
Essential Duties and/or Responsibilities:
- Safely, carefully, and efficiently drive cooperative vehicles to transport passengers.
- Safely load and secure passengers with wheelchairs and other mobility devices.
- Pick up passengers at prearranged locations, at taxi stands, or by accepting flags in high traffic areas.
- Follow regulations governing taxi operation and ensure that passengers follow safety regulations.
- Provide passengers with assistance entering and exiting vehicles, and help them with any luggage.
- Communicate with dispatchers by radio, telephone, or computer to exchange information and receive requests for passenger service.
- Record all required information accurately and legibly.
- Vacuum and clean cooperative vehicles as needed.
- Notify dispatchers or company mechanics of vehicle problems.
- Collect fares or vouchers from passengers and make change or issue receipts as necessary.
- Complete accident reports when necessary.
- Determine fares based on trip distances and times, using taximeters and fee schedules, and announce fares to passengers.
Experience preferred transporting people with disabilities and various assistive technology equipment, but not required. Current Wisconsin Drivers License and clean driving record. Driving record abstract required with application.
Accessible Van Drivers are paid by commission, but are guaranteed to make no less than $11.52 per hour. Health and Dental Insurance available at 28 hours per week after six months. Vision Insurance available at 10 hours a week after six months.
Short Term Disability Insurance available at 32 hours a week after one year of employment.
Equal Opportunity Commitment. Union Cab Cooperative is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons. Union Cab Cooperative is committed to taking affirmative action to ensure equal employment opportunities. Union Cab Cooperative is committed to providing a respectful and welcoming work environment, free from harassment and discrimination, both on our premises and while serving our customers in the community.
Find out more and apply:
About Union Cab Co-op
Welcome to the workers' paradise. Union Cab is a worker cooperative, owned and operated by its members.
Union Cab operates the largest taxi fleet in Madison. Our experienced staff and drivers provide over 400,000 rides annually. Drivers must complete the city approved disability & sensitivity training program, our defensive driving course, and pass an MPD driver background check.